Friday, October 12, 2012

Real and lasting success

A variety of current references to schooling, learning, testing, and success.  From Dark Matter to the Rug Rat Race.  From Chinese physics students to "non-cognitive skills."  Is there a sea change at work?

opting out of the 'rug rat race'
American children, especially those who grow up in relative comfort, are, more than ever, shielded from failure as they grow up. They certainly work hard; they often experience a great deal of pressure and stress; but in reality, their path through the education system is easier and smoother than it was for any previous generation. Many of them are able to graduate from college without facing any significant challenges. But if this new research is right, their schools, their families, and their culture may all be doing them a disservice by not giving them more opportunities to struggle. Overcoming adversity is what produces character. And character, even more than IQ, is what leads to real and lasting success.

This American Life with Ira Glass
Ira talks with Paul Tough, author of the new book How Children Succeed, about the traditional ways we measure ability and intelligence in American schools. They talk about the focus on cognitive abilities, conventional "book smarts." They discuss the current emphasis on these kinds of skills in American education, and the emphasis standardized testing, and then turn our attention to a growing body of research that suggests we may be on the verge of a new approach to some of the biggest challenges facing American schools today. Paul Tough discusses how “non-cognitive skills” — qualities like tenacity, resilience, impulse control — are being viewed as increasingly vital in education, and Ira speaks with economist James Heckman, who’s been at the center of this research and this shift.

schooling beyond measure
The reason that standardized-test results tend to be so uninformative and misleading is closely related to the reason that these tests are so popular in the first place....

The common denominator? Our culture's worshipful regard for numbers. Roger Jones, a physicist, called it "the heart of our modern idolatry ... the belief that the quantitative description of things is paramount and even complete in itself."

why some kids succeed
The book takes on what Tough calls the “cognitive hypothesis,” the idea that success hinges on mental processing speed and traditional brainpower. Instead, citing lots of interesting research, Tough shows that “non-cognitive skills” – perseverance, optimism, self-control, and so on – are actually what matter most.

rote learning vs creative thinking
'The results suggest that years of rigorous training of physics knowledge in middle and high schools have made significant impact on Chinese students’ ability in solving physics problems, while such training doesn’t seem to have direct effects on their general ability in scientific reasoning, which was measured to be at the same level as that of the students in USA,

25 comments:

  1. Einstein so famously said, "Not everything that counts can be counted, and not everything that can be counted counts."

    [In reference to: Roger Jones, a physicist, called it "the heart of our modern idolatry ... the belief that the quantitative description of things is paramount and even complete in itself."]


    ReplyDelete
  2. A great helping hand to all those having troubles in having good grades in Physics and mathematics, a sigh of relief and a beacon of hope, keep it up. team building

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style of blogging. I added it to my favorites blog site list and will be checking back soon. Please check out my site as well and let me know what you think. limo rental atlanta

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been searching for quite some time for information on this topic and no doubt your website saved my time and I got my desired information. Your post has been very helpful. Thanks.bus charter Jersey City

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can see that you are an expert at your field! I am launching a website soon, and your information will be very useful for me.. Thanks for all your help and wishing you all the success in your business.Plantation Bicycle Injury Lawyer

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been searching for quite some time for information on this topic and no doubt your website saved my time and I got my desired information. Your post has been very helpful. Thanks.Youth ATVs

    ReplyDelete
  7. As part of an assignment for research I have to find an article with relevant information on this topic and give the teacher our opinion and the article. Your article helped me a lot.silicone cup cover

    ReplyDelete
  8. I discovered so numerous interesting stuff in your weblog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments.Q9 Power Sports

    ReplyDelete
  9. I thought it was going to be some exhausting old post, however it truly made up for my time. I will present a connection on this page on my web journal. I am certain my guests will find that extremely helpful.watch full movie Me Before You

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is my first time i visit here and I found so many interesting stuff in your blog especially it's discussion, thank you.Youth utility ATVs

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is a amazing inspiring composition.I am gorgeous plenty pleased among your salubrious process.You put truly really cooperative info.Prostate vitamins

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great blog. All posts have something to learn. Your work is very good and i appreciate you and hopping for some more informative posts. Thank you……private detective Sacramento

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh! What a brilliant job you’ve accomplished here. All the facts on this topic are available in this post. I have not read any article up till now that tells every little fact about a certain topic. You must be very proud of yourself. Keep this up and you shall become the best writer ever!personal injury attorney boca raton

    ReplyDelete
  14. I discovered so numerous interesting stuff in your weblog especially its discussion. From the tons of comments.Customize tee shirts

    ReplyDelete
  15. You’ve got some interesting points in this article. I would have never considered any of these if I didn’t come across this. Thanks!how much is a loft conversion

    ReplyDelete
  16. The website is looking bit flashy and it catches the visitors eyes. Design is pretty simple and a good user friendly interface.personal injury attorney Plantation

    ReplyDelete
  17. Simply getting outside, walking around, taking a train and documenting the experience can be simplest introduction to globetrotting discoveries!sex addiction and internet

    ReplyDelete
  18. All the contents you mentioned in post is too good and can be very useful. I will keep it in mind, thanks for sharing the information keep updating, looking forward for more posts.Thankstree Service Nassau County

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love it! ^^ The hot dog would be great in a bento too. I think I might surprise someone with a nice Valentine's breakfast.limo from jfk to ct

    ReplyDelete
  20. it’s horribly exciting to be able to examine on the market habit observe this kind of exhibit write-up. I just now desire to many thanks to your exceptional accomplish.custom baby onesies

    ReplyDelete
  21. What a great source of information. Such a wonderful collection of new ideas. I'll definitely be back!wireless

    ReplyDelete
  22. Its like you read my mind! You appear to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you could do with some pics to drive the message home a little bit, but other than that, this is great blog. A great read. I will certainly be back.refinancing a home with bad credit

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am really like it very much for the interesting info in this blog that to this website is providing the wonderful info in this blog that to utilize the great technology in this blog.flat icons

    ReplyDelete
  24. The main thinks are typically vis asides righteous bestow of which are normally formulated really well numerous. ships to beach transfers

    ReplyDelete