Monday, February 6, 2012

learn to fail?

"Want to get into college? Learn to fail," -- writes Angel Perez,Dean of Admission at Pitzer College, Claremont, CA.

He quotes one applicant who said in an interview:
"You see, my parents have never let me fail," he said. "When I want to take a chance at something, they remind me it's not a safe route to take. Taking a more rigorous course or trying an activity I may not succeed in, they tell me, will ruin my chances at college admission. Even the sacrifice of staying up late to do something unrelated to school, they see as a risk to my academic work and college success."

This essay was published just days after my article in The Weekly Post, "Thirty under 30 and the Quest for perfection," which references the work of Brene Brown on perfectionism.

No comments:

Post a Comment